Friday, January 7, 2011

New year, more new things.

Since having Clara, I've returned to work. My job requires me to perform a physical fitness test (PFT) in order to return to duty. I just had a baby 9 weeks ago. Most women aren't even back to work yet and my employer wants me to run this test. The test consists of running 250yds while wearing a 50lb weighted vest and climbing a ladder all under 2 minutes 20 seconds. Well, I haven't exercised in the better part of a year and just got the all-clear from my doctor to start exercising 3 weeks ago. With the holidays and returning to work all occuring in the same time-frame, I haven't had much time to hit the gym. Not to mention, it takes more time away from Clara than I already am. I talked with management and they said that as long as my doctor said I'm ok to come back to work, then I can run the test. So I had no choice.

Frustrating as hell.

So yesterday I ran it.

And I failed...go figure. I told them I would. I didn't fail it on purpose. The only light at the end of the tunnel was that I only failed it by 5 seconds. That was the impressive part. I thought one of two things would happen:

1) I would fail fantastically.
2) I would hurt myself.

I was sort of hoping for #2, only so that I could sue the company. I didn't actually want to hurt myself and be off work for longer and not get paid for it. The only reason I came back to work after such a short time when Clara was born is because I didn't have a choice. It was either come back to work and get paid or stay home and not get paid. Since Adam isn't working, I didn't have a choice.

So I decided I needed to find something to get me in shape. We purchased a YMCA membership late last year. I decided it was time to take advantage of it finally. So I got online and found a couple classes that I'm interested in. One of them is called 'Body Sculpt'. I took it for the first time last night with my friend Roxy. It was amazing! I had a great time and it's exactly what I need to get myself back into shape. I have no doubt that if I continue to go to this class once a week (I'll also be going to a 'Water Workout' class on a different day of the week) that I'll finally shed the last 20lbs I want to lose and get myself back in shape. I have 30 days to re-run my PFT and I've no doubt I'll be able to do it and pass...so long as it isn't on a Friday. :) I had a great time last night, but I can hardly move today! I'm REALLY sore and tired (since Clara had a rough time going to bed last night) and am really unmotivated to do anything constructive today.

As far as things coming up, we've got a pretty open calendar. This weekend I want to get the Christmas tree down and get the living room put back together. We're also talking about doing some shopping with money we got for Christmas. It'll probably be one of the last free weekends we have since Adam's starting school on Thursday and I start back on the 23rd.

I've been told I need to get some more recent pictures of Clara up, too, so I'm going to try to take some this weekend and get them up here. I've also got a lot of work on my website to do...I'll see if I can get a free hand sometime during the weekend. :)

Until next time, dear readers, have a great weekend and for those of us in the Midwest....STAY WARM!!

No comments:

Post a Comment