Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Oh joy...not.

So it’s that time of the year again. It always seems that the 18 months goes by so fast, but here we are in shut-down mode at work again. Without getting into too much detail, I’ll put it to you this way. During the time we are shut down for 30 days (hopefully not more), we bring in 400 or so people to help out with projects that couldn’t get done while the plant is running. Most of these people I wouldn’t trust to work on my car, let alone work in the plant. We affectionately call them “The Carnies”. They travel all across the country working at different plants. Don’t get me wrong, the money’s good. In fact a lot of these guys cram 6-7 people into one small hotel room in order to save their per diem money, too. But GOOD GRIEF. We call them carnies for a reason, and it’s not just because of them travelling all over the country. I’m convinced most of them have a criminal record. And it’s the same thing every day. They’re not smart enough to figure out how to get into the plant, but they’re going to take it apart and work on it. Yikes. I’ll give you a prime example. We have walk-thought metal detectors. These people will walk through the metal detector wearing steel-toed shoes, but they can’t figure out why the metal detector is alarming because they’ve already emptied their pockets. Shut-down officially starts on Saturday, but I’m already sick of it.



Enough said about that.



So in school right now, I’m taking a class called Microcomputer Applications. I thought the class sounded interesting. Boy howdy, it is! I’m having a lot of fun with it. It’s basically teaching us how to use Microsoft Office. You’ll probably start seeing a lot more interesting looking blog posts from me. I’ve learned so much about Microsoft Word, like how to put pictures in, doing word art, and all kinds of other things. I’ll even be helping my hubby with some power points…if he wants my help.  I had a lot of fun with that particular portion, too. The class is so easy that I’m generally a week or more ahead with my homework! My other class isn’t quite so exciting. It’s an Introduction to the Study of Religion. I needed a humanities course and that was the only other one besides Feminine Studies or something like that. I have to say, I hate liberal arts. I’m better with fact than with theory or philosophy. I’m not saying I’m not learning anything, but I am saying I hate the class.



There isn’t too much of anything else going on right now. Adam’s still going to school full time. He’s looking to start at Bellin next year. It’s going to be a lot of work, but hopefully worth it when everyone is tripping over themselves to hire him. He’s also still working on his writing. He’s got a blog (www.adamwriting.blogspot.com) where he’s posting about his writing endeavors. I’m really excited that he’s getting more and more things published. 



I think that’s about it for now. I only get a chance to do nice long blog posts while I’m at work…unfortunately, I can’t get it posted from my laptop at work, so I’ll be waiting til I get home. Hopefully I can get it to work there.

No comments:

Post a Comment