Thursday, May 19, 2011

Oh bathroom scale, how I hate thee.

My love/hate relationship with my bathroom scale has taken on a mostly-hate relationship. I was loving my weight loss and then my diet got derailed when Clara's sleeping did. The number on the scale as well as my lack-of-properly-fitting-clothes wardrobe and appearance in a bathing suit have motivated me to get back on track and try to get rid of these last 10 pounds. I know. It's 10 pounds for Pete's sake, but they're really stubborn and I would prefer not to have them around.

Yesterday I signed up for WeightWatchers. They are having a promotion right now so I took advantage of the lower price. Once I got signed up and logged in, I realized just how badly I've been eating, even though I thought it was healthy (or at least healthier). My biggest weakness? SODA. The problem is, I need the caffeine most days. But it looks like I'm going to have to go back to my first trimester days and cut out the caffeine as well as the soda. My 2 sodas a day while at work ate up more than half my points for the day! I think the biggest problem I'm going to have with this is choosing snacks that aren't a lot of points. I'm hungry a lot. The problem is I pick bad snacks. Even my 100 calorie packs of snackies are too many points! A tiny bag of Chips Ahoy 100-calorie pack is 3 points!

The cool thing about the age of technology we live in is that WeightWatchers has an app for SmartPhones. It's great because it allows you to still keep track of your food without having to bring a notebook along or remember what you ate. There are also all kinds of tools for figuring out portion size, how many points are in your favoite recipes, and even building recipes out of things you have in your house already. AND you can even make a shopping list. It's great because who leaves home without their phone these days? The only downside is now I have to buy a bigger SD card for my phone. Oh well, I needed a new battery, too, so I got both. I plan on keeping my phone for quite a while anyway.

We'll see how it goes. I'm signed up for 3 months right now. I'm hoping it won't take any longer than that to lose 10 pounds. Fifteen pounds will get me back to the weight that I was before I got pregnant, but I'll be happy with 10.

I'll keep you posted. Maybe I'll get back to posting recipes every now and again, too.

1 comment:

  1. Hi from a fellow Wisconsin November mom...except my baby was born in December.

    Good luck with your weight loss endeavor! I'm also on WW, trying to lose that pesky baby weight, so I know how you feel. My weakness is sugary snacks. I have had no luck giving those up, so I don't know what to tell you about the soda!

    I wouldn't worry about 3 points. It really isn't that much in the grand scheme of things.

    The best (unsolicited) advice I could offer is to plan ahead! The days I plan ahead are the days I stick to my points. If you go out to eat, look at the menu and enter your points ahead of time, so you know exactly what you can eat. If you can enter your points for all your meals at the beginning of the day, even better.

    I would tell you to exercise, too, but that would be hypocritical.

    ReplyDelete