Monday, December 19, 2011

Viability day! 24 weeks down-16 to go!

Weekly Survey:


How far along? 24 weeks-Viability!! At this point Samuel could live on the outside, but he’d need a lot of support! We’ll just keep him cooking a little longer yet.

Total weight gain: +13.8lbs (141.8lbs)

How big is baby?: Still the size of a papaya.

Sleep?: This week has been a real challenge for sleep. Adam had his surgery on Wednesday so I’ve been waking up multiple times per night to hand out meds, get him things he needs, and to refill his ice machine so we can keep the swelling down on his leg. At least Clara has slept through the night the past 2 nights! I think it helped that she was pretty much exhausted.

How are you feeling physically? My back is sore and I’m more tired, but there’s not really much I can do about that right now considering I’m the sole person in our house who is capable of taking care of Clara.

How are you feeling emotionally?: Overwhelmed and stressed out! Maybe it’ll get easier as time goes by and Adam heals more, but we’ll just have to wait and see. There’s really no predicting it, which I think contributes to some of the stress-just not knowing how things are going to change between now and even Christmas!

Best moment this week?: That’s a tough one. I guess the best moment would have to be when Clara finally came home to stay after being gone all day Wednesday, Thursday, and most of Friday. It’s a LOT more work with her home, but I missed her so much.

Movement?: Yep! Samuel is still as lively as ever. It almost feels like he’s running out of room due to the types of movement I’m getting now, but I’m sure he’s still got plenty. Maybe he’s just a space hog and likes to have all the room he possibly can. I’ve been feeling actual body parts (not sure if they’re hands, arms, legs, etc)!

What is baby up to this week?: Still much of the same as the last couple weeks. Watch what you say -- baby is now able to hear outside noise from down in the womb. Studies show that baby finds gentle music and your own voice most soothing. Nipples are starting to sprout, and that little face is fully formed. And, baby's starting to settle into sleep cycles, snoozing about 12 to 14 hours a day. It shouldn't be hard to figure out when -- just pay attention to those kicks as they start and stop.

Food cravings?: Nothing in particular. I didn’t do a very good job with my eating over the last week, but I’m happy that my weight gain was under 2lbs. I’m sure the stress doesn’t help anything, either.


Labor signs?: Thankfully not.

What I miss: I miss being able to take care of Clara the way I used to-and I’m certainly not going to get any smaller as the weeks progress.

What I'm looking forward to: I’m looking forward to so many things right now. I’m looking forward to this week being over with. I’m looking forward to Christmas (sort of). I’m looking forward to Adam getting his staples removed. I’m looking forward to our next OB appointment and ultrasound on January 5th. I’m looking forward to seeing how well this surgery worked and hopefully resuming a more normal life together. And of course, I’m looking forward to meeting my son! I can’t wait to see who he looks like and see what his personality will be like. :)

Random Thoughts: I have so many that if I tried to write them all down, I’d probably be here forever. Lol I can’t believe it’s viability day today! It’s a huge milestone and I’m really glad that we’ve made it this far. Sam seems to be doing really well and seems healthy and happy. He’s doing all the things he’s supposed to be doing-I just feel bad that I’m so stressed. I’m sure it’s not fantastic for him, but I try to do the best I can.

I think people are under-estimating how difficult life is in our house with just me to take care of 98% of things. Adam is the one who usually does most of the caring for Clara, since I work full-time and during his last semester of school only had class 2 days per week. Not only that, but he did a lot of the bedtime stuff and lifting/carrying since my back has been so bad and my belly is in the way. Now that he can’t help with anything (he’s on crutches and cannot carry her at all) the responsibility of caring for her falls on me. That means when I get home from work at 2, she’s all my responsibility. That also means that if I need to go someplace I can’t just leave her home-I have to take her with me, which is not always fun or easy, especially being 24 weeks pregnant. Keeping her entertained at home isn’t too difficult. It gets hard when it starts being time for naps or getting dinner cooked, getting Adam and I and Clara fed and then starting the bedtime routine. It also means that if she wakes up in the middle of the night that I’m the one who has to get up with her, even if I do have to get up at 4:15am for work every day. Adam had a big part of Clara’s care and I don’t think I ever realized how much until he couldn’t help. It’s really hard to not get frustrated with her, especially when I’m tired and stressed. I used to go to bed right after she did. Now I have to stay up late to finish chores around the house that I couldn’t get done while she was up and around. It’s getting to the point in my pregnancy where I should be taking naps again but I just don’t have the time or ability to do so. There’s too much other stuff going on. Thankfully we have a lot of help from our families, but it’s really not the same as having Adam around to help.


Adam had a countdown to the end of the semester going. I think I might have a countdown of weeks until he’ll be off crutches and can be back to “normal” again.


See what I mean about the amount of random thoughts, though? That was just one thread!
24 week bump pic

No comments:

Post a Comment