Monday, April 2, 2012

Day 2! We're home!

We're home! We're nowhere near organized or settled in yet, but we've taken care of the important things. Sam already had his first feeding and a wet and dirty diaper so it seems as though he's good with life at the moment, too.

I've been able to at least get the living room organized so that I can feed and pump. Our suitcase is still packed and there's still a pile of stuff by the back door, but eventually we'll get there. I'm trying to pace myself a little. I don't want to overdo it on the first day!

So at discharge Sam weighed 6lbs 10.5oz-he lost a little, which is normal, but hopefully he'll keep gaining. We've decided, at least for now, to supplement his feedings with formula just to help him catch up and get ahead from his first couple days. He is a very lazy eater. He doesn't breastfeed the way he should so it's actually more effective for me to pump and give him the colostrum in a bottle. He needs about 15mls for one feeding so I give him whatever colostrum I've pumped and then make up the rest with formula. He's been eating about every 3 hours during the day, sooner if he wants but he does better with about 3 hours in between.

I'm not going to say it has been an easy couple of days, but it's getting easier as we're settling into a routine. I'm so much more mellow this time around. I've worked really hard to get him through the last couple days yet  I feel really confident and capable of caring for him as he tries to make up for lost time.

Tomorrow I may even try to do our first "Two under Tuesday" blog post! We'll have to see how things are going. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment