Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Toddle Along Tuesdays-Heredity

This week's TAT topic is things you do or don't want your children to inherit from you.

I wasn't really sure what to post for this...it's what I like to call "a real head-scratcher!" But, after thinking about it for a little bit, here are a few things I came up with:

I would like my kids to inherit:
  • My husband's intelligence and drive. The man is seriously smart and has a great drive and work-ethic...unlike me, who is smart, but I also lack motivation and ambition at times.
  • Their parents' compassion for animals. It may sound cheesy, but there's nothing like having a furry best friend around. :) Clara already seems to be the "animal whisperer". The 2 dogs she's exposed to (our dog Scooter and Adam's dog Goldie) absolutely adore her and are so good with her. It seems she's a natural.
  • Adam's love of physical activity. He played football and is a 3rd degree black belt in Tae Kwon Do.
  • Their parent's love of nature. I love going camping and skiing. Adam loves to fish, hunt, and camp. I'd really be surprised if the kids hated it. There's so much fun to be had outdoors! And it's ok if you get dirty, too. :)


Here's some things I hope they DON'T inherit:
  • My asthma or either of our joint issues: knees, back, etc.
  • My laziness.
  • My willingness to please other people at the cost of my own happiness. This is a big one. I did this for so long that I almost ended up married to someone totally wrong for me and the only reason was because I was afraid to hurt other people. I do NOT wish this on either of my kids.
  • And lastly-my or my husband's stubbornness....oh wait. Clara already has a lot of that! lol
I think I want for my kids what most parents want: for their kids to grow up healthy and happy, and to be well-adjusted, productive members of society. I have a lot of Mommy guilt and sometimes am really hard on myself thinking that I'm not doing well enough as a parent. Sometimes Clara doesn't eat well or is stubborn and cranky and despite being offered 100 healthy options, would rather eat junk food. In the end, it's not going to kill her once in a while and I just need to accept that she has her own will and mind and as long as I'm trying my hardest, that's what is really important.

She's a brilliant child and that is going to come with its own challenges, but as long as Adam and I do our best and what we feel is right for her and our family (as well as Sam when he comes along), then that's about all we can do. After all, they are OUR children.

No comments:

Post a Comment