Monday, March 19, 2012

37 weeks...Full term!

Weekly Survey:

How far along? 37 weeks-3 weeks (21 days) to go!
Total weight gain: +32lbs (160lbs) Up .8 from last week. Pretty good!
How big is baby?: The size of a stalk of Swiss chard (about 6.3lbs and a bit over 19” from head to heel). As of my 36-week appointment last Wednesday, Dr V thinks Sam is about 7lbs so it looks like we're right on track.

Sleep?: Getting better, minus the multiple trips (sometimes up to 4) to the bathroom every night. I usually sleep really well for the first 3-4 hours and then it’s sporadic, but I’ve been able to get back to sleep after each bathroom trip.
How are you feeling physically? Lately I’ve been feeling pretty good. I was pretty miserable at the beginning of last week. My sciatica was horrendously bad last Monday and Tuesday, but has since improved and I’m feeling much better. In fact, even though my doctor said he’d induce at 39 weeks, with the way I feel right now I’m perfectly content to wait. We’ll see what happens in the next couple weeks. I won’t be making that decision until my 38 week appointment.
How are you feeling emotionally?: I’m feeling very stressed. It was really nice to have Adam home for the last week, but now he goes back to school and I’m back to handling stuff alone again. I’m just trying to hang on these last couple weeks and not stress too much. We have a sick cat right now, too, that’s adding to the stress level. We’ll know more about that this week, but until then it’s a waiting game.

Best moment this week?: We celebrated “family birthdays” yesterday and the weather was AWESOME!! We were at Bob & Linda’s in Neenah and it had to be in the 80’s. That is EXTREMELY rare for Wisconsin in March (oh heck-who am I kidding…it’s unusual for July!).

Movement?: Yep. He’s still moving, though it’s been slowing down. He’s running out of room.

What is baby up to this week?: Your baby is now considered "full term," even though your due date is three weeks away. If you go into labor now, his lungs will likely be mature enough to fully adjust to life outside the womb. (Some babies need a bit more time, though. So if you're planning to have a repeat c-section, for example, your practitioner will schedule it for no earlier than 39 weeks unless there's a medical reason to intervene earlier). Many babies have a full head of hair at birth, with locks from 1/2 inch to 1 1/2 inches long. But don't be surprised if your baby's hair isn't the same color as yours. Dark-haired couples are sometimes thrown for a loop when their children come out as blonds or redheads, and fair-haired couples have been surprised by Elvis look-alikes. And then, of course, some babies sport only peach fuzz.

Food cravings?: I’m still craving Chicken McNuggets and fries from McDonald’s. I’m not really sure why.

Labor signs?: I’ve had some contractions again this week. I’m not sure that they’re doing anything but they’re there. I’m not even sure if I’ll have Dr. V check me on Wednesday. I guess we’ll see what happens. I seem to remember last time that I had to ask to be checked.

What I miss: I still miss having clothes that fit. I did buy some new shirts over the weekend and one nursing bra (there was only one in the whole store that was my size…I have to order online). I’m happy to have the shirts…I was getting a little tired of my belly hanging out of everything. Either that, or everything that I owned was long-sleeved and with the weather being so nice, it was too warm to wear long sleeves.

What I'm looking forward to: I have a chiropractor appointment tomorrow at 3:30 and then my OB appointment on Wednesday at 3:40pm. Friday we may be having dinner with Grandpa at Adam’s parents’ house for my birthday.

Random Thoughts: None too many this week. After today I will have 12 days of work left before my due date, less if I do end up getting induced or go into labor earlier. By the end of the week it’ll be single digits. I just keep telling myself I can do this!

I’d like to be able to get out in my garden a little this week. Adam said something about having his parents come down this weekend with the trailer so we can haul some yard waste out. I’m also looking at picking up a composter. Home Depot has one that I’m really interested in.

I also found out today that my Group B strep test came back negative again. That was the last big hurdle we had, so now it's smooth sailing until the wee man decides to show up!
37 weeks!



1 comment: