Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Hospital Bag Check List

Life has been rather insane the last couple weeks, however, we're getting into the final stretch of this pregnancy and I decided I'd better start thinking about packing my hospital bags. I don't anticipate needing them anytime in the near future, but you never can tell! Here's a list of things I plan to pack in my bags. A lot of what I'm packing for Samuel is based off of my experiences last time...some of which I didn't care much for.

For me:
2 pairs of socks
2 or 3 pairs of underwear (they may or may not get worn)
2 nursing/sleep bras
2-3 t-shirts or nursing tanks
2 pairs of lounge pants
shampoo & conditioner
brush
toothbrush & toothpaste
phone charger
camera & batteries
pen & paper (to write down details for my birth story to be written later)

For Samuel:
3-4 onesies or pajamas
sweatshirt (for going home)
sweatpants (for going home)
socks (for going home)
hats
blanket for the car seat

The hospital provides clothes for baby, but they didn't seem to fit very well for Clara. Maybe it was just my lack of sleep and trying to dress a newborn-which I had never done before, but either way, I'll bring my own stuff.

Misc:
car seat
Boppy
my pillow
baby book

I've been thinking about getting Clara and Samuel Big Sister/Little Brother shirts, but haven't decided yet. I think it would be really cute if they were wearing them when they met for the first time. I guess I'll have to see what I can find that won't cost me an arm and a leg.

I ended up bringing so much stuff to the hospital last time and most of it never even left my bag. I brought an outfit to wear home and just ended up wearing lounge pants and a sweatshirt. I don't really plan on there being anyone at my house when we get home anyway, so I'm all about comfort....that and I'm likely to spend most of the first day home lounging in bed or on the couch anyway so what's the point of looking nice? :)

As a first time mom, the first couple of days with your child is really exciting (well at least the prospect of it). Once that baby is here and you've had a chance to settle in and really think about the whole labor and birth experience, you realize things you would change. I had a really good experience overall. My nurses were awesome. Because I was induced my own doctor got to deliver me, which was awesome. The hospital was more like a hotel than a hospital. I had a great epidural and got the wonderful bonding experience with my husband and our new baby right after she was delivered. However, being a new mom I was so excited to have Clara there with me every second of the day. Until I realized that newborns don't sleep at night. Neither did I because she was awake...and I sent Adam home so he could get some sleep so at least one of us was halfway well rested. It was frustrating and exhausting. But I learned something from it. This time, Samuel's going to the nursery at night. :) I need rest to recover and since Adam will be going back to school right after he's born, I won't have as much help as I did when Clara was born. Super Mom I am not. I'll take the help when and were I can get it while I'm in the hospital. Hopefully my recovery will be a lot quicker and easier than my last one!

Now that I've made the list, I guess it's time to pack, huh? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment