Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Toddle Along Tuesdays-Parties

This week's topic is Parties. I decided to talk a little more about Clara's First Birthday party...or parties in her case.

When planning her party I was having a rough time. I wanted it to be really awesome, but I kept warring with the idea that she'll never really get it anyway. Do I spend the money anyway and give her a super awesome party, or do I save it? Seeing all the other moms I know planning big extravagant first birthday parties for their kids was really giving me serious mommy guilt because, quite frankly, we just don't have the money-especially with baby #2 on the way.

In the end, I just decided that it was more important for people who love her to be there and not really what the actual party was like.

I ended up doing 2 different parties....when in hindsight, I could have combined them. Our house is TINY and there was no way we could have her party there with all of my family plus all of Adam's. So the original plan was to have 2 parties-one for his family and one for mine. So I set up a date and time with his parents and we were all set on that end. On my family's end, I just didn't have time to worry about cleaning my house, etc. so I looked into renting a room at our city's Community House. It was an inexpensive option and the best part was that I didn't have to clean! We got food from Subway and I made cupcakes. We even had a TV we could set up so no one had to miss the Packers game. What I didn't realize until after the parties were planned and invitations were sent out, was that I could have just had one party at the Community House and saved a whole day. No harm no foul, really, but at least I learned. :)

The bottom line is that Clara had a good time and the people who love her most were able to share in her special day with her. Going forward I'll probably just have one big party for her in a rented space so that no body has to worry about how clean their house is, or if their house is big enough.

I think one of the hardest things about being a parent is competeing with other parents. I know most of us say that we won't do it, but sometimes it can't be helped. I about had a nervous breakdown when my girl was little because I had to work so many hours. I had to be away from her. I couldn't do things the other mamas were doing like cloth-diapering and making my own "organic" baby food. I fed my kid from a jar and put disposable diapers on her. I felt like a bad mom. But what matters most, is what works out best for your baby and your family. Clara is healthy and h appy and growing like a weed. It doesn't matter what kind of diapers I used or that I had to work long hours to provide for my family. In the end, all that matters is happiness.

And who isn't happy about cupcakes? :)

Cupcake coma....

Here, Mommy, have some cupcake. :)

1 comment:

  1. Your little girl is so cute! I agree about the competing thing and I try to avoid it at all costs. I got to stay home for a year, but I didn't cloth diaper or babywear or things like that. I was so overwhelmed by just having a baby that I couldn't keep up! I'm sure you're baby girl is just as happy whether she's wearing cloth or disposable diapers! I can't wait to see pictures of the new little one soon!
    New follower from TAT!
    http://smilesnsnuggles.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete